Life has certainly been a bit much as of late and between work, play, relationships, personal issues, and the constant weather changes, I’ve been neglecting and ignoring my inner voice. This has resulted in longer lasting and more painful migraines (pressure systems are my biggest migraine trigger and since the weather has been so bi-polar – eep!), body aches from subconsciously holding myself tense and just general icky, cranky, irritable feelings. Now I don’t know about you, but I really don’t like to feel this way – not one little bit, so I’m taking steps to stop and listen and take care of myself.
While my basic meditation is a great place to turn to, I’ve been focusing more on myself and my body by simply doing the following ~
- Click the music link* and take a deep, relaxing breath.
- Close your eyes and simply listen to the music. Let it flow over and through you.
- Place your hands on your belly (or one on your belly and one on your chest) and feel them rise and fall with each breath.
- Focus gently on your breath as it flows in and out of your lungs.
- With each exhale relax your shoulders and release the tension in your body.
At the end of the five minutes I feel so much better and in-tune with myself and I feel a sort of kindness well-up inside. I also like to add a simple, lovely mantra, like “Peace in…Peace out” or “Calm in…Calm out” or “Gentle mind…Gentle self” with each breath to help keep my focus.
It really does feel nice to be here now and to actually listen to and work with my body. I hope you can create a moment of self-reflective calm for yourself!
Namaste ~ Ella
*Music by Liquid Mind (Chuck Wild) ©2011 Gold Masque Music (ASCAP).