I like a nice routine. Oh, nothing too set in stone or scheduled from dawn to dusk, just a fairly set way of doing things each day. I find that my days flow easier and much more pleasantly if I wake-up, eat and go to bed around the same times (though that is kind of a “well, duh” sort of thing). I also just feel better if I do certain things and this is a small list of 10 of those things…
- I drink a cup of water each morning after I wash my face and before I eat breakfast. I find that it makes me less likely to have a glycemic rush in the morning and it just tastes so fresh and pleasant.
- I always take time to make my bed, smooth-out my blankets and fluff my bed pillows. It makes my room feel neater and I just like doing it.
- I get dressed. I have a thing about getting out of whatever I’ve slept in and putting on something else. Even when I’m sick I’ll change into fresh sweatpants (though I’m with Jake from Adventure Time – they really are giving up on life pants…especially when there is so much else to choose from!)
- I take time to breathe deep and enjoy the fresh air when I let Nelly out (this is a newish one, but I’ve been doing it for 7 weeks already!).
- I check my main e-mail first thing when I get on-line. I do my best to keep it tidy ’cause a full inbox drives me batty!
- I have a re-usable bottle of water with me in the morning, the afternoon and early evening (I’ll often mix a lemonade or tea-packet in for flavor).
- I turn my computer off after 7pm and I turn my phone on do-not-disturb from 10pm to 7am. Electronics can really affect my sleep and anxiety so limiting my exposure to them is a very good thing. I also turn off the lights gradually as the evening goes on and by bedtime it’s only soft lamp light that provides a pleasant glow.
- I unmake my bed and make it look super inviting by folding the blankets back, plumping my pillow and I spritz a light fragrance over the bed.
- I wash my face each night and smooth on lotions to relax my body and mind.
- I take a moment to reflect on the day and count my blessings and happy moments!
It’s not much and most of it is simple and almost mindless in a way, but it makes each day feel right for me. Do you have any everyday patterns or routines that you follow?
Namaste ~ Ella