I absolutely adore this particular breathing exercise. While it’s true that any sort of deep, steady breathing can, does and will relax, sooth, center, calm and detoxify, this one in particular struck a cord with me and I find myself stopping and practicing it several times a day. Perhaps it’s the imagery of my breath sounding like the ocean (or as I imagine like the soothing song a seashell produces when held up to the ear) or the powerful, yet controlled exhaled ‘haaaaa’. Whatever it is, it works and I wanted to share in hopes that it may strike a cord with someone else too. So read, relax, breath and enjoy…
This breathing exercise (which I discovered in the June 2009 edition of Body+Soul magazine) uses ujjayi pranayama, or the “victorious breath,” which activates the fourth and fifth chakras (energy centers), and helps to flood the body with oxygen which in tun aids in detoxifying the internal organs. Follow these steps to de-stress – and to beautify the skin from the inside out.
- Sit or stand comfortably with a tall spine and shoulders relaxed.
- Place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your heart.
- Inhale a slow, steady breath through the nostrils. Direct the breath toward the back of your throat slightly so that the breath becomes audible, like ocean waves crashing on the shore. Feel the expansion of the abdomen, rib cage, and chest.
- Exhale completely through the nostrils, pushing all the air out while pulling the navel to the spine. Again, your breath should be audible (as if you were saying “haaaaa” with your mouth closed).
- Work toward a smooth, even inhalation and exhalation through the nostrils. Repeat seven to 11 times.
Isn’t a lovely feeling? I hope you enjoyed this and as always feel free to check out my easy-peasy meditation guide “Just Breathe” – you can find it right here. Happy breathing!
Namaste ~ Ella
3 thoughts on “Beauty Breath”
Inhale…haaa! Inhale…haaa….wait this is how I breath regularly…maybe that’s why people can’t stand to be around me in a library…;) Great advice and beautiful breathing to ya!
Comments are closed.